Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Deep in Dust, Grave Rubbing Art Quilt


(Above: Deep in Dust, Grave Rubbing Art Quilt Series. 36 1/2" x 23 1/2". Crayon on silk grave rubbing, vintage linens and lace, hand and free motion machine embroidery.)

The rubbing for Deep in Dust was made in the Rock Creek Cemetery in Washington, DC. The actual tombstone was quite wide and the epitaph appeared in only four lines. Of course, I split each line into two when creating the rubbing. While stitching, I thought I'd somehow made a mistake.


"Withering" isn't spelled "withring".

I checked my photos though...and in 1802 someone chiseled it in without the "e". Since then, an apostrophe was drawn in its place...but not carved into the stone. Thus, there is no indentation. I left my quilt the way it originally appeared!


(Above: Deep in Dust, detail.)

To read more about this Grave Rubbing Art Quilt with additional images that can be enlarged, please CLICK HERE.

1 comment:

  1. It could well be that withering was spelt without the "e", two hundred years ago. Spelling has always been a mutable thing!

    ReplyDelete