Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Our Darling Sons


(Above: Grave Rubbing Quilt Series: Our Darling Sons. Rubbings created with crayon on silk; Appliqued onto vintage linens with crocheted edges. Hand and free-motion machine embroidery.) This quilt was accepted by juror Pritika Chowdhry into a national show at Woman Made Gallery in Chicago called Cultural Memory: Transdiasporic Art Practices, September 4 - October 10, 2009.

(Above and below: Details from Grave Rubbing Quilt Series: Our Darling Sons. Words include: Died in infancy; Blessed; Gentle; Our Darling Sons; Died; Son 1895; Young; Eldest Son; Suffer little children to come unto me; I take this little lamb said he, And lay it in my breast, Protection it shall find in me, In Me be ever blest; and Safe in the Arms of Jesus.)


On the first of February, I wrote about this art quilt: The grave rubbings I made in Maine are currently my focus for both hand and free-motion machine embroidery. The trip to Savannah and its Bonaventure Cemetery are fueling each running stitch....like the kantha clothes in Indian, I feel a sense of memory, softness, and personal investment. I've started two more pieces in this series too!

(Above: Reverse.)
To visit the blog post with images that can be "clicked on" for enlargement, please go HERE!

No comments:

Post a Comment